2014 Home Gardening Lecture Series
Perennials, Groundcovers and Vines Useful When Gardending with Deer
Fertilization in Wetchester County
Mulching (Mulching in Place)
Garden Planting Calendar
Horticulture News Articles
Tree Species List
Program efforts are diverse and aim to match an ever-changing county
situation. What we offer:
- The Diagnostic Laboratory diagnoses horticultural and insect samples,
and provides soil pH testing (Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1:15-3:15
- The Horticulture Hotline (914-285-4640) answers homeowners' inquiries
on many topics (Monday thru Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon). This
line is often busy during the growing season. Please be patient!
The Commercial Hotline offers information to professionals from
9:00 a.m - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you are a horticulture
professional, please call our office for this phone number.
- Two newsletters, "Westchester County Horticultural News" and "Hudson
Valley Horticulture for Professionals" provide timely information
and are published 10 times per year. A variety of "fact sheets"
and other publications are available either free or for a small
- Extension seeks to provide pest control recommendations based on
Integrated Pest Management (I.P.M.) principles. New I.P.M. information
is constantly being offered to homeowners and professionals through
a variety of methods.
- Westchester residents are encouraged to adopt "Grasscycling" (leaving
grass clippings on the lawn) and composting methods through programs
and literature developed in conjunction with the Westchester County
- Every 2 years, a carefully-selected group of New Master Gardener
volunteers receives 75 hours of horticultural training in return
for 100 or more hours of volunteer service.
- Lectures and workshops on a wide variety of subjects are regularly
sponsored by the Master Gardener Education Committee, including
the annual home gardening series.
- Special Events, such as Earth Day programs, are attended by Master
Gardener volunteers with educational displays and information.
- Master Gardener volunteers, trained in Horticulture Therapy, teach
- A Speakers Bureau fields requests for programs from groups throughout
the county. Pesticide Training and Exams for commercial horticulturists
are conducted with NYS Department of Environmental Conservation.
- Extension co-sponsors the "Professional Turf and Landscape Conference"
which brings 1000 participants to the County Center each January,
a major source of training for the "green industry."
- Regional Seminars on topics such as pesticide safety, alternative
lawn care, business management and perennials are provided for professionals
through our participation in Cornell Cooperative Extension's Hudson
Valley Horticulture group.
Please contact CCE of Westchester, 3 West Main Street, Suite 112, Elmsford, NY 10523,
if you have any special needs.
For more information
please e-mail email@example.com.