Livestock Price Yield Estimator - a useful resouce! Microsoft Excel needed to view and use.
New Farmer's Manual for 2013: If you are new to an agricultural endeavor (small or large) download this manual for a listing of local and regional resources you'll find helpful!
Attention all Livestock Owners - Storm-related information:
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA): Information on Emergency Preparedness - http://www.avma.org/disaster/default.asp
- American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP): Emergency and Disaster Preparedness - http://www.aaep.org/emergency_prep.htm
- Red Cross: Disaster Preparedness for Pets - http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/beprepared/animalsafety.html
On-Farm Poultry Slaughter Guide
The Cornell Small Farms Program is pleased to announce a new " On-Farm Poultry Slaughter Guide.". Designed to complement a hands-on training in how to properly kill and prepare a poultry carcass for sale, this guide focuses on the critical points for producing a product that is safe to eat.
This 28-page guide contains sections on the 1000-bird limit exemption, where you can legally sell your birds under this exemption, labeling requirements, sanitary operating procedures and more. It includes several appendices, such as a sample flock record log and a questionnaire that your insurance company may use to assess your knowledge of safe poultry processing practices.
Meat Goat Management Wheel - download this handy and helpful 17-step guide from breeding through marketing.
Cornell Guidelines for Pest Management (Cornell "Recommends") -- now online and searchable!
Cornell Cooperative Extension Orange County Ag Subscription Take full advantage of our research-based information!
Commercial Soil Analysis Service - link will take you to AgroOne Soil Services where you can select from a number of testing services.
Helpful Links and Downloads
A Resource Guide to Direct Marketing Livestock and Poultry from Cornell University. The purpose of this resource guide is to help New York farmers better understand the current regulations governing the slaughtering, processing, and marketing of meat animals.
Meat and Poultry at the Market: What a Farmers' Market Manager Needs to Know. This publication is tailored specifically for market managers. It is an overview of the requirements farmers need to follow, with many of the specific details omitted.
Meat and Poultry at the Market: What a Farmer Needs to Know. This publication is written specifically for farmers. It has many specific details on what is required of farmers in order to sell at the farmers' market.
Cornell Small Farms Program links to a site filled with important information/fact sheets for both new and experienced livestock farmers.
- Animal Husbandry (not 4-H) nutrition, health, general care Pasture Management relating to livestock production
- Farm Business Management relating to equine and livestock industries
- Soil Samples for livestock farms
- Alternative Agriculture relating to livestock
Cornell University Cooperative Extension provides equal program and employment opportunities. Please contact our office if you have any special needs.
Updated: October 31, 2013